Bernalillo County is committed to strengthening the local food economy by creating job opportunities, nurturing the next generation of farmers, and increasing the availability of locally grown food throughout the county. Grow The Growers (GTG) is a farm training and business incubator program created to attract new and emerging farmers into professional food production.
The GTG has a total of six farmer training positions available for full-time students for the 2017 season. The farm training is a comprehensive and intensive program from ‘soup to nuts’ that will include practical in-field farm work, marketing, and workshops.
- The position will require 40 hours of work per week, reliable transportation, and the ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- 20 hours of training will be located at the Gutierrez-Hubbell House.
- 20 hours of training will be located at one of six local Agri-Cultura Network farms.
- Priority will be given to residents of Bernalillo County, those with some prior agricultural experience, those interested in farming as a profession, and those who are interested in utilizing county open space property as incubation land upon completion of the program.
- The on-site farm training program will start in March and go through November 2017.
- Six full-time farm trainees will receive a scholarship of $250 per week paid through the Grow the Growers program.
- All full-time farm trainees will be required to attend and complete all eight core Grow the Growers classes starting in November 2017 through January 2018. This requirement is for farm training participants who did not complete the eight core GTG classes offered in 2016/2017 and those who plan to apply for Phase III – Farm Incubation, which provides county open space land after the training program.
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask that a Grow the Growers application packet be sent to you. Please include how you heard about this opportunity and your contact information.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:00 pm.