Green beans are a rich source of vitamin K, C and A, as well as carotenoid phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 3 tablespoons goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 4-5 drops tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sliced sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roasted red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoons chopped basil
Chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes. Fill the bottom of a steamer pot with 2 inches of water. While steam is building up in steamer, cut ends off green beans. Steam for 5 minutes. To mellow the flavor of the garlic, add garlic to green beans for the last 2 minutes of steaming.
A fork should pierce through the beans easily when they are done. Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss green beans with the remaining ingredients while beans are hot.
— Recipe adapted from www.whfoods.com