The entire pan was gone in one sitting. Serve this alone, with a dollop of yogurt, a drizzle of cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Warm or cold, this won’t last long.
(Serves 4. Buy the apricots, pecan halves, blue corn flour, and butter from New Mexico’s growers.)
- 1 pound (about 15 – 20 small) fresh apricots, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup blue corn flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the apricots split-side down in a round tart pan or 9-inch by 9-inch baking pan.
- Place the pecan halves among the apricots.
- In a bowl, mix the blue corn flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cardamom or cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter and combine with a fork, pushing down firmly, until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apricots and pecans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving, or serve it cold the following day.
Recipe and Photos by Christina Keibler