Tons of eggplant and okra are coming in at the market, and they happen to be two of the trickiest vegetables to prepare. Here’s an easy dish that’ll get you soft, buttery eggplant and perfectly crisp okra.
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 lb okra, trimmed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 handfuls of cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat.
2. Increase the heat, add the eggplant, and let cook for about 10-15 minutes just until it begins to soften.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the tumeric, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander, and stir the mixture.
5. Add the okra and stir gently so as not to break the pieces. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes, giving it a gentle stir every 3-4 minutes. If you have larger okra, this may take longer.
6. Stir in the cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. (Adapted from Chocolate Chip Trips blog)