This recipe is so simple that it will become a regular addition to your summer kitchen (and your local farmers will appreciate you taking advantage of a seasonal staple). It’s surprising that a recipe requiring so few ingredients can taste so delicious and complex. You can have this on the table in 15 minutes, or you can prepare the zucchini ahead of time for an even quicker preparation.
Serves 4 as a salad, 2 as a side
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 small- to medium-sized zucchini (or any in-season summer squash)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 of a raw purple onion, diced (or 1 spring onion per person)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your salad dressing of choice
- Wash the zucchini, onion, and avocado.
- Slice the washed zucchini into rounds about 1/8″ thick. Sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat (but don’t let the oil smoke).
- Fry the zucchini on both sides until they develop golden brown spots and set aside to cool. (You can also grill your zucchini, if you like.)
- Chop the onion into 1/4″ pieces.
- Cut your avocado into slices or cubes (it’s your choice).
- Place the cooked zucchini on a serving plate or in a bowl (you can also do this beforehand and store the zucchini in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the salad).
- Top the zucchini with the raw onion and avocado.
- Serve and enjoy!
It’s that easy. And deceptively delicious. You can serve your zucchini and avocado salad with your favorite dressing (we like a light vinaigrette), and a hard cheese like queso añejo or Parmesan. Some cilantro would be a nice addition, too.