Summer squash is seasonal from June to fall in New Mexico, and the state’s farmers grow a wide variety, including zucchini, yellow crookneck, pattypan, and more. There are many ways that all varieties of summer squash can be prepared (check this out), which means it can make a regular appearance in your kitchen. Try out these quick and easy pizza boats as a tasty way to start adding healthful squash to your summer table.
- 4 summer squash (one per person) such as zucchini, yellow, or pattypan squash
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (learn to make your own here) or your favorite pizza sauce
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- Herbs and garlic, fresh or dried
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Brush or spray a baking dish with oil.
- Wash the squash and slice them in half lengthwise.
- With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh of each squash, making a nice fillable cavity. (You can score the squash with a knife to make this easier.) Then, place them in your oiled baking dish.
- Spread about a tablespoon of tomato paste or pizza sauce in each cavity.
- Sprinkle each squash with your favorite pizza herbs and spices, such as garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and red chile flakes.
- Fill each squash with your favorite pizza toppings (we used cooked local chorizo and spring onions, but also consider sautéed mushrooms, olives, pepperoni, and more).
- Cover each squash with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake your pizza boats, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until a fork pierces the squash easily.
Serve your pizza boats with a salad made from local greens, spring onions, and your favorite dressing as part of a healthy summer meal.
Recipe and photos by Christina Keibler.