A kale smoothie is a favorite of many, and we think this recipe is the best. Try making large batches (using a full bunch of kale, two apples, full cucumber, etc.) and have three to five servings ready to go in the refrigerator. (It lasts close to a week.) Have fun adapting this recipe to what you have on hand and what you like! Some ideas include:
- Use spinach instead of kale
- Add a kiwi
- Add yogurt instead of the avocado
- Add peas or lettuce
- Add cinnamon
- Add protein powder
- And, for a sweeter, kid-friendly version, use limeade as the liquid
- Big handful(s) of kale (any variety)
- 1 green apple (with or without skin)
- ½ cucumber (de-seeded)
- ½ avocado (if desired)
- ½ lime
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, grated (less for a milder taste)
- Local honey (1 tablespoon)
- 1-2 cups water (or green tea)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Wash kale and de-stem. I find curly kale the easiest to de-stem.
- Cut the apple. I usually leave the skin on for extra fiber, but you can peel if you like.
- Slice the cucumber in half the long way and scrape out seeds with a spoon.
- Prepare green tea if you want extra antioxidants and caffeine.
- Cut avocado and scoop out. The more you use, the creamier your smoothie.
- Add honey, grated ginger, lime, liquid and ice. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Recipe by Denise Miller.