Summer Beef Stew
A good beef stew knows no seasonal limits, but as summer temperatures rise, your slow cooker is the coolest way to make this standard favorite. Summer beef stew is a great way to use whatever vegetables you find at your local farmers' market or farm stand, or in your CSA box. It's also an opportunity to clean out the harvest you froze last spring! The great thing about stew is that, when it comes to vegetables, almost anything goes!
Calories 165 kcal
- tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast (cut into 1-inch cubes (cheaper cuts of beef like chuck are the best choice for stews))
- 1 pound of locally grown vegetables (washed and cut into cubes (think carrots, onions, beets, potatoes, kohlrabi, radishes, squash, and more!))
- 2 cups water (you can also use beef broth)
- 1 cup of your favorite beer (feel free to use non-alcoholic beer)
- 1/4 cup homemade bouillon (you can also use your beef or vegetable bouillon of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (the bouillon has plenty of salt in it)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup water
- Place the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the meat well on all sides.
- Place the meat in a slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients, except the corn starch. Add additional water or stock if needed to just cover the meat and vegetables.
- Cook the stew, covered, on low heat until the meat is tender (8 to 10 hours).
- Place the cornstarch in a bowl add 3/4 cup water, a tablespoon or so at a time to start, stirring well after each addition. Stir until smooth and lump-free, and add to the stew.
- Cover the pot again and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes, or until the stew has thickened.
- Taste and correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with cheese crisps, or try shredded cabbage on top!
Calories: 165kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 370mgPotassium: 308mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 154IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!