When you're in the mood for a hamburger, ditch the bun in favor of sliced seasonal vegetables like zucchini or eggplant in the summer, or root vegetables in the winter. With a little salt and pepper on the veggies, we promise you'll find these sliders more delicious than when a bun is used. Give this recipe a try when you get inundated with zucchinis this season!
Course Main Course
Servings 4 people
Calories 333 kcal
- 2 large zucchini (Choose ones with about a 2” to 3” diameter.)
- 1 pound ground beef (You can also choose ground bison)
- 1 large egg
- Wash the zucchini and slice into 32, 1/2 inch thick rounds and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine ground beef with the egg. Add your desired seasonings, such as garlic or onion powder, chili powder, or cumin.
- Divide the ground beef and roll into 16 balls and flatten with your hands a bit. Set aside along with the zucchini.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan. Pat the zucchini slices dry and fry them on each side until lightly charred, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside once all of the zucchini are charred.
- Add the 16 burger patties to the skillet and fry on each side until just before the desired doneness is reached. Add cheese, if desired, and cover the skillet until the cheese is melted.
- Assemble the sliders with the burger and desired garnish (cheese, green chile, ketchup, etc.) between two slices of the zucchini. Enjoy using a knife and fork, or go for the juicy mess and eat with your fingers!
Calories: 333kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 23gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 107mgPotassium: 745mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 391IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 3mg
Recipe and photo by Christina Keibler
Keyword Fall Recipe, Spring Recipe, Summer Recipe, Winter Recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!