Blue Corn Shortbread
Blue corn shortbread is easy to make and not too sweet, making it a great staple treat. And if using 100% blue corn flour might seem too much for you (but try it, it's delicious), you can substitute an equal amount with wheat flour.
Servings 25 cookies
Calories 125 kcal
- 3/4 pound butter (at room-temperature)
- 1 cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups blue corn flour (try 1/2 corn and 1/2 wheat, if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 375 ºF.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the butter and 1 cup sugar until combined. Add the vanilla and beat in.
- Add the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until the dough comes together (depending upon your mixer, you may need to do this by hand as the dough will be stiff).
- Place the dough on a floured surface and shape into a disc. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, to 1/2-inch thick.
- Slice the rectangle with a knife into about 25 cookies (5 rows by 5 columns) and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before serving.
Calories: 125kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 3gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 15mgPotassium: 90mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 22IUCalcium: 17mgIron: 1mg
Photo and recipe by Christina Keibler.
Keyword Fall Recipe, Spring Recipe, Summer Recipe, Winter Recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!