Butternut Squash with Rich Sautéed Mushrooms
This dish is decadently rich with smooth and sweet butternut squash topped with meaty sauteed mushrooms! It can be made in stages, and come together within 20 minutes when meal time arrives.
Course Main Course, Side Dish
Cuisine Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings 4 people
Calories 210 kcal
- 2 pounds butternut squash (About 1 medium squash. You can substitute other winter squash varieties.)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (Select from your favorite, or use a variety)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano (Or use 1 tablespoon of fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper (Or to taste)
- Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and save to bake as a snack! Place on an oiled baking sheet, cut-side-down, and bake in a 375 degree Farenheit oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool. (You can do this several days ahead of time.)
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the skillet along with the herbs and salt and pepper.
- Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, stirring occassionally to brown and reduce the mushrooms. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, scrape the butternut squash from the shell and place in a bowl (reheat, if necessary). Once the mushrooms are cooked, place them on top of the squash and garnish with additional herbs and salt and pepper, if desired.
Calories: 210kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 4gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 594mgPotassium: 979mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 24108IUVitamin C: 49mgCalcium: 116mgIron: 2mg
Recipe and photos by Christina Keibler.
Keyword Fall Recipe, Winter Recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!