Roasted Pumpkin & Tomato Soup
This quick and easy soup is one reason to consider keeping locally grown cooked pumpkin in your freezer or refrigerator (and if you can find both locally grown tomatoes and pumpkin at the same time, all the better). The pumpkin in this recipe takes the place of cream or sweetener and produces a creamy and sweet soup with few calories, more antioxidants, and healthful fiber!
- 2 pounds tomatoes (you can also use one 28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes)
- 1 cup pumpkin (roasted or canned)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 8 cloves garlic (if you're not a fan of garlic, use fewer cloves)
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (ground)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Roasting the pumpkin
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Cut the cap off the pumpkin, scrape out the insides and the seeds, and slice the pumpkin into 8 pieces.
- Place the pieces on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Hold 1 cup of the pumpkin for the soup, and freeze or refrigerate the remainder for snacking or cooking.
Making the soup
- Chop the tomatoes and onion roughly, and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan along with the cooked or canned pumpkin. (If you're using canned tomatoes, place the contents of the can into the pan, juice and all.)
- Top the tomatoes, pumpkin, and onion with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place the pan's contents into a blender and blend on high until creamy. Add water, if needed, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with your preferred garnish (consider chopped parsley or cooked and crumbled bacon) and your favorite grilled cheese sandwhich.
Calories: 71kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 601mgPotassium: 766mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 4418IUVitamin C: 39mgCalcium: 54mgIron: 1mg
Recipe and photos by Christina Keibler.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!