Chicken Ancho Chile and Black Bean Soup
Use as much local produce as you can in this soup, but out-of-season canned or frozen vegetables still make this a quick and delicious meal. This soup has tons of flavor with few calories, and can be adapted in various ways, such as subtituting pork for the chicken, or making the soup vegan by removing the meat and adding some rice. We recommend serving with a dollop of mashed avocado, yogurt, and cilantro!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless, skinless, sliced into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 poblano chile (chopped)
- 1 sweet red pepper (diced)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 tsp ancho chile powder (or to taste)
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 pounds tomatoes, diced (or 1, 15 oz can diced tomatoes)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups corn kernels (cut from about 2-3 ears of corn, or use frozen and thawed corn kernels)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the chicken and stir until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, poblano chile, red pepper, and salt and cook until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, chile powders, and cumin, and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, black beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the pot from heat, and add the lime juice.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, sliced avocado, or cilantro leaves.
Calories: 149kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 15gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 1079mgPotassium: 617mgFiber: 3gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 1298IUVitamin C: 57mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 2mg
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers. Photo by Christina Keibler.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!