One great thing about potatoes is that, with proper seasoning, you can coax them to reflect the taste of many cultures. The flavors of Greece are no exception! And while rosemary potatoes are a traditional Greek flavor, if you want something a little spicier try these gyro-inspired baked fries! And don’t forget, you can use this mix for Root Veggie Fries, too.
- 2 pounds locally grown red, purple, or white potatoes (about 3 to 4 inches in length)
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet or hot)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the potatoes and pat dry. Slice them lengthwise into quarters, place them in a large bowl, and toss them with the oil. Set aside.
- Add the herbs and spices to a bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Pour half of the spice mixture over the potatoes and stir to combine. Add the remaining mixture, and stir again until completely incorporated. (Adding all of the spices at once can cause uneven distribution.)
- Place the potatoes on a cookie sheet in a single layer, and bake in the preheated oven until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Turn the potatoes over, and increase the heat to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until crispy.
Recipe and photos by Christina Keibler