Need a quick holiday side dish? Use up any spinach and mushrooms and bake them with sour cream, bacon, and cheese for a savory and salty addition to your meal. It can be eaten just scooped from the serving platter on to a plate or as a dip with tortilla chips, pita, or crackers.
- 16 oz of spinach
- 10 oz of shredded colby jack cheese
- 8 oz of cooked bacon bits (storebought or homemade)
- 16 0z of mushrooms
- 16 oz sour cream
- Wash and slice mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter or a neutral oil in a pan and heat on medium. Add mushrooms to the pan and sauté until darkened in color and the texture is softer. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Wilt your fresh spinach on top of the mushrooms.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits. Add the spinach and mushrooms and mix all together.
- Spoon the mix to a 9 by 9 baking dish or pie pan and even out the top with the spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the soufflé is bubbly and the cheese is melted, set oven to high broil. Watch for the cheese to be golden brown 3-5 minutes and take it out of the oven.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe and photos by Alison Penn.